Thursday, May 1, 2008

the other eye

This is Jenny. I'm the third stooge in this trio of adventurers. I am lucky enough to have visitors willing to run around with me and pretend to know what's going on.

Julie, Eric and I have begun a month of traveling around Thailand. First we met in Bangkok on the last two days of my Peace Corps Service. I finished officially April 30th, after a total of 28 months as a volunteer. I am relieved and a little sad. It's a lot of my life, a lot has happened, and I will miss this country.

Luckily, I get to travel with my two best friends. But as we're learning, it's not always a smooth ride. Last night we left Bangkok at five pm and just got to Trang. Where I have been working for two years. The trip is usually 16 hours; this trip was 20.

After blogging for a while, I'll be taking them to my village to meet the people in the photos here (from my show now up in Bangkok). To meet the family I have learned to love like my own. To play in waterfalls and walk in the jungle, to worry about scorpions and deal with no running water. Not joking. It's the dry, hot season and my well has been dry for a month.

I am worried I am overwhelming my virgin travel companions because everything is so familiar for me after this long abroad. The smells don't get to me. I feel bad for Julie who seems so sensitive to the changes in environment. I remember, but now I'm numb nose wise. The sights are like walking around the block where I grew up in LA. It's where I live now. The language comes naturally. The people are my friends.

What I hope to be able to show Julie and Eric is what Thailand can look like from an insider's perspective. I want them to be able to see this country the way I've come to love it. And to even teach them some Thai.

So far, so good. But Eric likes the lingo to pick up the ladies and makes me pee my pants with his jokes. I've designated myself the recorder of all good Eric quotes for our trip. Last night's train adventure elicited a number. 1) I feel like a circus animal. 2) I totally feel like I'm at camp right now." In reference to the bunks we had to cram into. 3) I always wish I could quote myself but I'm too lazy."

Hence my new appointment.

More pictures from the mountains of Southern Thailand....the Banuthat Mountain Range and the villagers who call me their daughter. The village is called BanKhuanMaidum and we are about to enter another world.

Peace, Jenny K

No comments: