Friday, May 9, 2008

Island Adventures - Julie's post

We're back in Trang, at the same internet cafe we posted from after our stinky train ride.

We stayed at the Amari hotel in Trang for 2 nights which was the most luxurious hotel I've ever stayed at, let alone seen with my two eyes. Eric said it was nicer than anything he's seen in Maui.
I got an overpriced massage at the resort, which left much to be desired. Thanks to our friend Tanya, who by the way is the best massage therapist EVER...nothing ever compares. I'm coming to realize that the more massages I get. Jenny got a massage too which she thought was excellent so that was good.

At the resort Jenny and I took a yoga class. It was one of the many free things they had offered there. The instructor was a 20-year old Thai man who's English was on par with my Thai, ie: non existent. I couldn't for the life of me figure out half of the poses he was doing (neither could Jenny) so we just improvised. Every position we'd do, he'd say, "Next Poh-zi-Shun" very much like a robot. It was very cute, he looked like a deer in headlights teaching to two women who were advanced.

After the resort style living we headed to the island Ko Ngai 2 days ago, on a speed boat straight from the dock of our resort. The speed boat was incredibly choppy the entire way. I've never been on a speed boat in the ocean, it's pretty intense. Luckily the ride was less than a half hour, which was just enough time for me to feel disoriented and shaky when I got off the boat.

The island was fantastic, although the weather was total shit. The day we got there it was overcast but thankfully not too rainy until the evening. Yesterday was a different story. It pretty much rained all day and all night. Although there was about 1 hour of total sunshine and another hour of clouds without rain. Eric and I went snorkeling during that time. Unfortunately it was hard for me to see anything because I couldn't put the snorkel gear over my glasses. :( That was kind of sad.

When we left the island this morning, the weather was perfect, just in time for our departure. The weather made our time there more interesting, even if we didn't get to spend as much time in the water as I'd have hoped. Also, the food wasn't that good, and I've come to find that you either have to have one of the two in this country to make it a spectacular experience- good food or weather. Both were missing.

I finally got the USB cable for my camera!! Look back to previous blogs in the next couple of days for pictures to go along with the stories!

Julie

The first 6 pictures are at the Amari resort in Trang
The last 4 pictures are at our island bungalow







No comments: