Friday, May 9, 2008

monsoons and nothing to do but write

After leaving the jungles of Palian and the mountain range of my village, it was a drastic mind warp getting used to resorts, idyllic beaches with emerald water and fruity alcoholic drinks brought to your door.

We arrived first at the Amari. The most beautiful and tranquil place I have ever seen in Thailand, let alone stayed at. I felt like a movie star and we got to act like it because there was like 5 other guests.

2 days of recuperating from the go-go-go life of trying to find a way to fill the buckets in my bathroom was not enough. I felt pains of regret as I left my little air-conditioned heaven and king-size bed all for me.

A bath tub for two and a shower in SEPARATE locations, recessed lighting, cable, four pillows and free water and bathrobes. Need I say anymore.

But leave we did, because the island life was beckoning us from the shores of Trang, from PakMeng pier which is where we departed from two days ago. We headed to koh ngai, an island I had never visited in my two years here and was super excited to check out.

Good thing we arrived with daylight to spare to enjoy the sunset. The next day it rained ALL DAY! And then we left this morning. Islands are like prisons during the monsoons. That sucks. Good thing the sea scape was so breath-taking, good thing there was air-con and good thing they have the most extensive list of cocktails I have yet to see.

I was excited to perch myself INSIDE; I was excited, at least, and inspired to write. It was easy to do with the rain still coming down in buckets.....

Andaman treasures, landscapes

still forming broken off, surviving

sea hawks searching, a pair of wrens

perching,

watching,

waiting for the second of sunset

still building, grass thatched roofs


the water keeps going still further

out beyond the line of my comprehension

revealing what was underneath as I swam

out an hour ago.

Where did the fish go?


I wish i was lighter, that I blended in

more, wispy I wish I

was a song that enhanced the mood

here even more, something like Enya


not Dido.

not elevator style

not jack johnson.


I will have to get back to city living and city thinking for the moment as we head to Chiang Mai for two weeks and the possibility of yoga classes is making me smile.

Also, thanks to Julie and Eric for letting me sleep on your floor. I am such a cheap peace corps volunteer :)

Jenny

No comments: